TG-51 Addendum - Overview and Implementation
M McEwen1*, (1) National Research Council, Ottawa, ONTH-D-BRCD-2 Thursday 11:30:00 AM - 12:30:00 PM Room: Ballroom CD
This presentation will describe the new addendum to the AAPM’s TG-51 protocol covering photon beam reference dosimetry, which is in the final stages of review and will be published in 2012. The addendum does not change either the formalism of TG-51 or the standard reference conditions (i.e., 10 cm x 10 cm field at 1 m) but provides new chamber-specific data together with detailed guidance on the relevant factors to take into account when following the TG-51 protocol. The presentation will review the addendum in some detail with particular focus on:
1) Best practice recommendations to minimize errors and ensure consistent dosimetric reporting, including choice of chamber, experimental procedures, determination of correction factors, and application to FFF linacs.
2) An in-depth discussion of uncertainties with guidance on how the clinical physicist can affect the overall uncertainty in the determination of absorbed dose to water
1) Understand the scope of the TG-51 addendum or photon beam dosimetry.
2) Understand how the addendum should be implemented to achieve the highest level of accuracy.
3) Understand how to construct an uncertainty budget for the determination of dose at the reference point and how the clinical user can influence the overall value of uncertainty.