Tomosynthesis from the Ground Up
W Geiser1*, (1) UT MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TXSU-D-Salon BCD-2 Sunday 4:00:00 PM - 6:00:00 PM Room: Salon BCD
Breast tomosynthesis was approved for use in screening for breast cancer in February 2011. Many tomosynthesis ready systems were installed across the country in preparation for this approval and those systems are being upgraded to perform Digital Breast Tomosynthesis (DBT). There is evidence that DBT is helping reduce recall rates while increasing cancer detection rates 1,2,3. Due to this evidence many new systems are also being installed. Facilities that are implementing a breast tomosynthesis program need to be aware that there are many hurdles that need to be overcome before tomosynthesis studies can be performed.
The purpose of this lecture is to give the medical physicist the knowledge needed to help those facilities that are going to perform DBT deal with facility design issues, image storage requirements, choice of PACs , and review of the studies. This will include a review of DICOM for DBT, shielding requirements for DBT suites and choice of review stations to help facilities transition smoothly form reading of 2D studies to reading of combined 2D and 3D studies.
1. Understand shielding requirements for a breast tomosynthesis suite.
2. Be able to make recommendations to facility managers on PACs and review station requirements for breast tomosynthesis.
3. Be able to help facility managers with implementation of breast tomosynthesis at their facility.
1. Destounis S, Murphy P, Seifert P, Paulis L, Cavanaugh D, Arieno A, Morgan R. Experience with 2D/3D Breast Tomosynthesis vs FFDM in the screening Environment. Presented at RSNA 2012, LL-BRS-MO3C Breast Imaging CME Posters
2. Haas b, Kalra V, Raghu M, Philpotts l. Performance of Digital Breast Tomosynthesis Compared to Conventional Digital Mammography for Breast Cancer Screening. Presented at RSNA 2012, Scientific Session 22-Breast Imaging: Screening/Emerging Technologies
3. Rose S, Bujnoch L, O'Toole M, Nordmann A, Seston R, Willison K, Tidwell A. Brreast Tomosynthesis and Digital Mammography for Breast Cancer Screening: Medical Outcomes Audit. Presented at RSNA 2012, VSRB41-06 Breast Series: Emerging Technologies in Breast Imaging