Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy
D Shepard1*, R Popple2, (1) Swedish Cancer Institute, Seattle, WA, (2) Univ Alabama Birmingham, Birmingham, ALMO-A-211-1 Monday 8:00:00 AM - 8:55:00 AM Room: 211
Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT) is a rotational approach to the delivery of intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) that can be delivered on a conventional linear accelerator. VMAT combines the dosimetric advantages of rotational delivery with the dose painting capabilities of IMRT. In recent years, VMAT has become a widely adopted clinical tool due to the conformal nature of the dose distributions and the efficiency of VMAT delivery. In this session, we will provide an overview of the VMAT delivery technique and will describe recommended steps for starting a VMAT program including VMAT commissioning. We will discuss tips and tricks for the use of VMAT for key clinical sites such as head-and-neck and prostate. Additionally, we will detail the role of VMAT for stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS) and stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT). More advanced VMAT topics will also be discussed such as flattening filter free VMAT, gated VMAT, and the use of couch rotations during VMAT delivery.
1. Describe volumetric modulated arc therapy (VMAT).
2. Describe commissioning of a VMAT delivery system.
3. Summarize the key elements of starting a VMAT program.
4. Review patient- and machine-specific VMAT quality assurance.
5. Survey VMAT treatment planning systems and planning techniques.
6. Describe advanced VMAT techniques such as gated VMAT and flattening filter free VMAT.
Conflict of Interest: Richard Popple has a sponsored research agreement with Varian. David Shepard has a sponsored research agreement with Elekta.