Invited Speaker Handouts
Selected speakers have been asked to provide handouts for their presentations:
Continuing Education Credits
Evaluation System now Closed.
Items of Interest
All sessions and technical exhibits will take place in the George R. Brown Convention Center, 1001 Avenida de las Americas in Houston. The education program and professional program will offer a significant opportunity to gain practical knowledge on emerging technical and professional issues. A major focus of the scientific program is the increasing integration of advanced imaging concepts in the routine practice of various therapies, especially radiotherapy.
Houston, Texas is home to the world's largest concentration of medical professionals. The world-renowned Texas Medical Center is home to more than 42 institutions, including the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center and Baylor College of Medicine.
The Main Event area of downtown Houston spans Main Street between Capitol and Congress. This pedestrian-friendly location showcases some of the city's best restaurants, nightlife and entertainment. Just a few blocks away is the Houston Theater District, ranked second in the nation for the number of theater seats in a concentrated downtown area.
We know you'll find the program and venue especially worthwhile this year, as we celebrate our Golden Anniversary.
Meeting Program - Now Available!
View the full program online at the Meeting Program site.
Dates to Remember
|January 7||Web site activated to receive electronic abstract submissions. To begin the submission process, please review the Instructions to Authors information.|
|MARCH 5||Deadline for receipt of 300 word abstracts and supporting data.|
|March 19||Meeting Registration and Housing available on-line|
By April 30
|Authors notified of presentation disposition|
|By May 14||Annual Meeting Program available on on-line|
|June 11||Deadline to receive discounted registration fees|
|June 18||Deadline to cancel housing reservation without a $25 cancellation fee|
|June 25||Housing reservation deadline|
|July 9||Last day to register for SAMs|
|July 27-31||AAPM Annual Meeting – George R. Brown Convention Center – Houston, TX|
|August 1-3||AAPM Physics Education Workshop, South Shore Harbour Conference Center, TX|
AAPM staff members realize the amount of waste created by a single meeting. Most green ideas cost nothing extra, and some even save our association money. In an effort to be more environmentally responsible, we're working as partners with Houston in the following ways:
- The pocket program will be printed on 30% post-consumer recycled paper with soy-based ink.
- This year AAPM is providing a complimentary water bottle in every tote bag. We ask that you fill your water bottles from one of the 18 water coolers in the convention meeting space or exhibit halls. Bottled water produces up to 1.5 million tons of plastic waste per year. Your complimentary water bottle will be made from high density polyethylene (HDPE) which is safe for repeated use.
- Look for recycling bins for bottles, newspapers and general trash in the convention center.
- Brede Exposition Services, our official service contractor, produces signs on reusable Sintra plastic. Brede reuses, then recycles miles of carpet. Aluminum and cardboard from the show floor is recycled.
- AAPM convention hotels in Houston conserve energy and water. Unless directed by guests, hotels will launder bed linens every other day and at check-out, and launder towels only when left on the floor.
- The George R. Brown Convention Center replaced its original boilers with energy efficient boilers
that decrease NOX exhaust to the atmosphere.
- The Hilton-Americas uses energy-saving thermostats in guest rooms. These automatically turn off as soon as a guest checks out of their room and do not turn on again until another guest checks in.
- The Hilton-Americas valet-parks Hybrid vehicles for free!
- Convention Communications, AAPM's designated door drop partner, has implemented a new initiative. For each company participating in our door drop service, Convention Communications will have a native tree planted in a U.S. ecosystem restoration project to offset the resources used in printing and the carbon used for transportation. They have also asked participanting companies to consider the environment when they design and print their materials.
We're celebrating 50 years of medical physics January through December, 2008. We hope you'll participate in the following special events in July in Houston:
Golden Anniversary Service Project - Houston Food Bank
Does your travel schedule allow you to arrive in Houston a day early? You and your family members are invited to volunteer at the Houston Food Bank on Saturday, July 26, 8:00am-Noon. The Houston Food Bank is a certified member of America's Second Harvest. 80,000 people are fed each week with the help of volunteers. Click here for more information and to register.
Meet the Charter Members Reception, Monday July 28
On Monday, July 28 a reception will be held in honor of AAPM's Charter members, 5:00pm-6:00pm, just prior to the Awards and Honors Ceremony in the convention center. Honor our past, by chatting with the members responsible for creating and growing the profession. Refreshments will be served.
Enjoy Lunch on AAPM - Monday and Tuesday
Each Scientific Attendee at the Annual Meeting will receive TWO $10 lunch vouchers with their registration materials. This voucher is good for $10 towards your food and/or beverage purchase at any George R. Brown Convention Center food outlet in Hall D-E. One voucher is valid for Monday, and one for Tuesday, Hours: 11:00am - 1:00pm only