2008 Research Seed Funding Initiative
The AAPM is pleased to announce the creation of a Research Seed Funding Initiative to provide start-up funds for research-oriented medical physicists. Two $25,000, one-year awards will be made in 2008, and are intended to provide funds to develop exciting investigator-initiated concepts, which will hopefully lead to successful longer term project funding from the NIH or equivalent funding sources. It is expected that funding will begin on July 1 of the year in which the award is made, and that subsequent research results will be submitted for presentation at future AAPM meetings.
The award is not intended to provide salary support for the applicant, however any other research-related expenses, including travel to scientific meetings, will be supported. At the end of the 12-month period a report should be forwarded to the AAPM, along with itemized expenses. The award will not support indirect costs. Any unspent funds should be returned to the AAPM.
- 5 years or less since awarding of Ph.D.
- Member of the AAPM (any membership category)
- No previous grants >$50,000 as principal investigator
- Not received the Research Seed Funding Initiative in prior years.
- Application deadline: February 15, 2008
- Decision notification: May 15, 2008
- Funding commencement: July 1, 2008
- Five page description of research project (including figures and tables), separated into (a) specific aims, (b) background and significance, (c) preliminary results, (d) research plan, (e) literature cited and (f) budget. Note that sections (e) and (f) do not count towards the five-page limit. As the competition for the seed grant is high, eligible applicants are encouraged to also submit their applications for other awards, e.g.
- CV (no more than 4 pages).
- Letter of support from division/department chair demonstrating support for the project and authorization of time and resources to complete the proposed research.
- 50% Scientific merit of proposal (significance, innovation, environment, and soundness of approach)
- 25% Potential for project to develop into a major project fundable by NIH, DOE, DOD, etc.
- 25% Background of investigator
- Send completed applications, preferably electronically in pdf format, to Cecilia Hunter (firstname.lastname@example.org). Mailing address: Cecilia Hunter, AAPM, One Physics Ellipse, College Park, MD 20740.