Continuing Education Credits
The 59th Annual Meeting & Exhibition will apply to the Commission on Accreditation of Medical Physics Education Programs, Inc. (CAMPEP) for approval of medical physics continuing education credit (MPCEC). The following information outlines the number of credits qualified medical physicists could earn for participating at the meeting. In addition, AAPM will offer up to eight (8) credits for general poster viewing. To obtain MPCEC credit, attendees must complete an on‑line evaluation survey. Please note your badge I.D. is required in order to complete the CEC evaluation survey.
To obtain MPCEC, SAM, MDCB and/or RLI credit, attendees must complete an online evaluation survey.
Following the meeting and the close of the AAPM online evaluation system, AAPM will provide CAMPEP with participant contact information, credits earned, and the appropriate processing fees in order for individual participants to access their personal 2017 AAPM Meeting transcript via the CAMPEP online MPCEC Repository database. Please be advised, CAMPEP transcripts are viewable via the CAMPEP online MPCEC Repository database. Participants will not receive a hardcopy CAMPEP transcript. Should a participant need a hardcopy of the 2017 AAPM Meeting transcript, an individual may order a hardcopy transcript from CAMPEP. View details here.
Note: Individuals registered as Companions are not eligible for MPCEC.
Continuing Education Program Objectives:
- Review basic knowledge of diagnostic and therapeutic techniques.
- Conduct sessions on the current state of the art and standards of practice.
- Provide a peer interchange forum for exchanging information and concepts
Medical Physics Continuing Education Credits
- AAPM has applied to the Commission on Accreditation of Medical Physics Education Programs, Inc. (CAMPEP) for MPCEC credit.
- In order to obtain credits, attendees must evaluate ONE session during the designated time blocks.
- Attendees can only evaluate sessions that have taken place on days covered by their registration category.
The SAM quiz questions will be available for viewing before each SAM session starts.
New SAM Process
Many AAPM members now require Maintenance of Certification (MOC) as defined by the American Board of Radiology. SAM are not required, but can be used to meet the (ABR) American Board of Radiology self-assessment continuing education (SA-CE) requirements.
In an effort to provide increased SAM offerings and to allow the maximum time for speakers to adequately cover presentation content, the AAPM has implemented a new SAM Process.
- SAM session attendance will be automatically verified via a Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) beacon as you enter the session room.
- Complete the SAM session questions using the Online Evaluation System. SAM questions are no longer embedded in SAM presentations, so audience interaction is not needed.
Here’s how to successfully obtain SA-CE credit:
- Individuals interested in earning SA-CE credit must register for SAM...pre-meeting or onsite.
- At the meeting, stop at the registration counter to obtain your badge and your Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) beacon.
- Upon entering a designated SAM session, your attendance will automatically be verified via your beacon. You must attend the entire SAM session to be eligible to obtain SAM credit.
- To obtain credit, you must answer the SAM questions associated with the session in the Online Evaluation System. Your answer does not need to be correct to earn credit, however, you must respond to all questions for the session to earn credit.
- Your responses are a self-assessment of knowledge gained during designated sessions. In the evaluation system, you will be provided with the aggregate of how other participants responded to each question along with your answer.
- The Online Evaluation system will remain open through 11:59 pm ET, Monday, September 6, 2017. Evaluations MUST be completed by that time for credits to be earned.
- SAM sessions are open to all meeting attendees. Individuals who do not need SA-CE credits can attend the sessions and complete the online evaluation to obtain MPCEC credit. SAM questions are not provided to Non SAM participants.
EVALUATE IN REAL TIME!
- Use a personal smartphone, tablet, or laptop to access the Online Evaluation System in order to evaluate a session and complete SAM questions in real time during the session.
- Attendees will have access to each SAM question set prior to and during the meeting.
Maintenance of Certification (MOC) as defined by ABR
Many AAPM members now require Maintenance of Certification (MOC) as defined by the American Board of Radiology (ABR):
- At least 75 continuing education (CE) credits are required every 3 years.
- CE credits may be met by a combination of Category 1 credits (CAMPEP or ACCME) and self-directed educational projects (SDEPs).
- At least 25 of the 75 CE credits must be self-assessment CE (SA-CE).
- Other than ABR prequalified self assessment modules (SAM) and SDEPs, the ABR will count all AMA Category 1 CME activities in “enduring materials” (including webbased and print) and “journal-based CME” formats toward the MOC self-assessment requirement.
- SAM are not required, but can be used to meet the (SA-CE) requirements.
- Information regarding the MOC requirments can be found at What is MOC.
AAPM has selected to offer SAM at the Annual Meeting as the mechanism by which attendees can earn SA-CE. SAM allow for interactive learning and self-assessment of knowledge gained during designated sessions, submitted for ABR approval.
NO DEADLINE DATE TO REGISTER FOR THE PARTICIPATION DEVICE (PD) NEEDED FOR THE SAMs PROGRAM; registration is still open. If you wish to add the PD to your registration at this time, please call the registration call center at 508-743-8511. How Do I Register for SAM sessions/credits at the 2017 Annual Meeting?
AAPM Transfers SAM Credits to the CME Gateway.
Update your CME Gateway account for automatic transfer of SAM/SA-CME Credits:
- Sign onto the CME Gateway.
- Click on the tab titled "Participating Organizations".
- Select The American Association of Physicists in Medicine (SAM/SA-CME)
- Enter your AAPM user ID and password and click register.
- Click on the individual Participating Organizations Reports link to view SAM credits.
- 2017 AAPM Annual Meeting SAM Credits will transfer to the CME Gateway on September 13, 2017.
The AAPM 59th Annual Meeting & Exhibition will apply to the Medical Dosimetrist Certification Board (MDCB) for approval of MDCB credits for the AAPM Annual Meeting and Review Courses. To obtain credit, attendees must complete an online evaluation survey. Badge ID and CMD Number are required. Message Center/CEC kiosks are available in the convention center for this purpose.
Following the meeting, AAPM will report the medical dosimetrist participants credits earned to the MDCB.
Radiology Leadership Institute (RLI)
The 2017 AAPM Annual Meeting will appy to the Radiology Leadership Institute(RLI) for RLI Credits. RLI Credits provide education aligned with the RLI Common Body of Knowledge™. To receive RLI credits for your participation at the meeting, please contact RLI staff member, Michelle Klinke at 703-346-8077 or (email@example.com). If you are enrolled in the RLI program you will be able to track any credits awarded through the RLI Navigator. Meeting attendees must also complete the online evaluation. Please note, in addition to your Badge ID, your ACR # is also required.
Online Evaluation System
- To obtain credit, attendees must complete an online evaluation survey. Internet/CEC kiosks will be available in the convention center for this purpose.
- The Online Evaluation System will also be available via the AAPM website. Use your own device to access complimentary wi-fi throughout the Austin Convention Center (AAPM meeting rooms, exhibit hall and function space).
- The Online Evaluation system will remain open through 11:59 pm ET, Monday, September 6, 2017. Evaluations MUST be completed by that time for credits to be earned. After the close of the online evaluation system, registrants will be contacted with instructions for viewing the meeting transcript via the CAMPEP website. The transcript will list a description of the sessions and the number of continuing education credits obtained.
- Please note: You must enter your Badge ID and Last Name in order to access the CEC evaluation system. A CMD number is required for Medical Dosimetrists.
- Credits will be posted by September 13, 2017.
The SAM quiz questions will be available for viewing before each SAM session starts.