Online Learning Center
Message from the Chair
Welcome to this month’s version of the Online Learning Center. The new webcast of the month (link at the right) is an introduction to risk assessment. This was a panel presentation from the 2013 AAPM summer school. I encourage everyone to take time to view it.
I’d like to remind everyone the Spring Clinical Meeting is coming up next month in Denver. You can see the program here.
The day before the meeting is the Radiation Oncology Program Accreditation (ROPA) meeting. If you are interested in attending that please note early registration closes Feb. 14th. This is the second year for this meeting as it was very well received last year.
Finally I want to remind everyone, when you renew your dues for 2014 if you add "Online Continuing Education Program" (extra cost) you can get as many CE credits as you want and the online CE also count as self-assessment (SA) satisfying the new ABR MOC CE-SA requirements. If you’ve already renewed, you can still pay the additional fee to register for online CE-SA. The fee is $75/year (or less, depending on your membership). Compared to other meetings, a single SAM can cost anywhere from $50 to $100, so unlimited credits for $75 is a real bargain.
Thanks for stopping by and come back often.
Charles D. Bloch
Chair Online Learning Services Subcommittee
- Continuing Education Credit (MPCEC)
- Self Assessment Modules (SAMs)
- Virtual Library
Medical Physics Continuing Education Credit (MPCEC)
Members have the opportunity to earn CAMPEP approved Medical Physics Continuing Education Credit (MPCEC) for successfully passing quizzes associated with informational sources such as journal articles, AAPM Virtual Library presentations, task group reports, and other publications.
This is a CAMPEP approved program. For each quiz successfully taken, a member will earn 1 MPCEC. Each MPCEC is equivalent to a Category 1 credit. The ABR will count the quizzes as(SA-CE) activities. To view your credits, sign onto CAMPEP. ABR requirements can be found at What is MOC.
To successfully earn the credit, a participant:
- Must correctly answer 8 out of the 10 questions.
- Cannot attempt the same quiz in the same 24-hour block; you must wait a day before attempting the same quiz.
To obtain Credits: (REQUIRED)
- Each participant must sign onto the CME Gateway. Select Commission on Accreditation of Medical Physics Educational Programs (CAMPEP) via the organizations tab. Enter your CAMPEP user ID and password and click register.
- Click on the Reports Tab to view the MPCEC credits that will transfer to the ABR.
- For each quiz successfully taken, a participant will earn 1 MPCEC. Each MPCEC is equivalent to a Category 1 credit.
- AAPM transfers MPCEC earned by you to your CAMPEP transcript on a daily basis.
Unlimited access to the Virtual Library is included as a benefit of AAPM membership at no extra charge. Join the hundreds of other AAPM members who are using the AAPM Online Learning Center for continuing education, and MOC (SAMs). The Online Learning Center runs on a calendar year. The annual fee is $75
Maintenance of Certification - Self Assessment Modules (SAMs)
Many AAPM members now require Maintenance of Certification (MOC) as defined by the American Board of Radiology (ABR). At least 75 continuing education (CE) credits are required every 3 years. CE credits may be met by a combination of Category 1 credits (CAMPEP or ACCME)and self-directed educational projects (SDEPs). At least 25 of the 75 CE credits must be self-assessment CE (SA-CE). Other than ABR prequalified SAMs and SDEPs, the ABR will count all AMA Category 1 CME activities in “enduring materials” (including webbased and print) and “journal-based CME” formats toward the MOC self-assessment requirement. SAMS are not required, but can be used to meet the (SA-CE) requirements. Information regarding the MOC requirments can be found at What is MOC.
ABR approved SAMs are now available and accessible to individuals registered in the AAPM Online Learning Center: The Online Learning Center runs on a calendar year. The annual fee is $75.
(REQUIRED) Steps To successfully earn online SAMs credit:
- Pay for OLCE (if applicable)
- Click on the Red Login Button below (you will be directed to the Virtual Library). Upon entering the Virtual Library, you must click the " SAMs Hot Button" to be directed to the SAMs presentations:
- Select a SAMs Module.
- View all presentations associated with each SAMs Module and respond to all questions. No pass or fail.
- Upon completion of the the required presentations you will be provided a link to the required AAPM online Quiz. The quiz must be taken to receive MPCEC and SAM credit. You must pass the 6 question quiz with a score of 100%. You must wait 24 hours for multiple attempts.
Members please log in to access SAMs Offerings.
- To obtain SAMs/SA-CME Credits:
- Each participant must sign onto the CME Gateway.
- Click on the Organizations Tab.
- Select The American Association of Physicists in Medicine (SAMs / SA- CME)
- Enter your AAPM user ID and password and click register.
- Click on the Reports Tab to view the SAMs credit that will transfer to the ABR.
- Your online SAMs will transfer to the ABR website daily.
- For each quiz successfully taken, a participant will earn 1 MPCEC. Each MPCEC is equivalent to a Category 1 credit. AAPM transfers MPCEC earned by you to your CAMPEP transcript on a daily basis. AAPM transfers Online SAMs credits via the CME Gateway to the ABR on a daily basis.
We are currently working to produce and post additional SAMs from a wide variety of sources. Additional SAMs offerings will be uploaded as they become available.
Constructive comments are always appreciated.
Charles D. Bloch
Chair, Online Learning Service Subcommittee, 2012-
*If you have any questions or suggestions on how the Online Learning Center can be improved, please send them to Charles D. Bloch. Every attempt will be made to incorporate improvements as quickly as possible. Problems encountered with the website should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org for quicker response.
Online Learning Center needs Question Assignors, Writers and Reviewers.
Want to get involved? Email Charles D. Bloch